Ivanhoe CC was founded in 1916 by members of a Bible class at Upper Holloway Baptist Church in London. It was named Ivanhoe after Sir Walter Scott’s novel. It’s believed that one of the founding members, Charles Scott, was a descendent of the writer. He played football and captained the cricket team from the early 1920s until 1959 and remained involved with the club until the mid 1970’s.
The Club, originally called Ivanhoe Athletic Club, played at Highgate woods at first, then in the early thirties moved to London playing fields in Edgware and included football, cricket, tennis, netball, swimming, gymnastics, rambling and amateur dramatics.
After the Second World War The Club reformed with cricket, football and tennis sections and still maintained connections with Upper Holloway Baptist Church. This link slowly came to an end, but The Club continued as a sports club. In 1957 Ivanhoe moved from London playing fields to Centenary Park in Stanmore where it continued with cricket and football until the cricket section moved to Shendish manor in Apsley in 1985. Then, when that was turned into a golf course, to Oakland’s college, St. Albans in 1994.
Today we play at the Royal Veterinary College, Brookmans Park near Potters Bar, which is a very nice ground with full facilities. Members come from all over the Hertfordshire and Northwest London area. We play a full fixture list of friendly non-league cricket of a good standard. We also have a hugely popular annual tour usually at the end of June.
Read Ivanhoe’s circular newsletter from 1966 (PDF).
Anyone interested in joining The Club please feel free to contact us through this site